Tuesday, February 19, 2013

ON THE OTHER SIDE
by Joseph Bishara

Well she / does her chores
and she / prays for him
on those /distant shores
where the / news is grim
'cause we / send our boys
and we / lose our men
in those / freedom wars
that we / have to win.

Well we / pick up sticks
and we / march in time
and we / follow rules
and we / hold the line
and we / lick our wounds
and we / lose our minds
to find a better world on the other side

We lost our way as we stepped on those mines.
and we'll dearly pay but we'll get it right this time.

We'll pick the flag up
and we'll / dust if off
and we'll / string it up
it'll / fly aloft
and we'll / cover hearts
and salute the cloth's ideals
and know how freedom feels
as we build a better world
on the other side.

We'll / armor up
and we'll / hunker down
and we'll / hold on tight
to a / higher ground
and we'll / reach beyond
and we'll / reach within
and break / every bond
and we'll / be a friend to what's right
as we build a better world on the other side.

I lost my way as I chased down those dimes
But I'll spend my pay and I'll get it right this time.

Well now / I've got you
and now / you've got me
and we / have our hopes
and this / family
and we'll / make it through
every / tragedy
and we'll / find a place
you just / wait and see
where we'll / build our dreams
and make a better world on the other side.


copyright Joseph Bishara

No comments: