Friday, September 12, 2008

Leap New Year Baby

Interesting opportunity for teaching: By the Gregorian calendar, I was born September 12th 1971. However, according to the Coptic calendar ('annuit coeptis' written on the back of every U.S. dollar over the pyramid) I was born on new year's day, 1 Thoout, 1688 A.M. (Anno Martyrum). The 12th of September and the 1st of Thoout correspond with each other only once every four years (because of leap year day). This year, the 1st of Thoout is today, September 11th. I think it's kind of cool to be a Leap New Year's baby. So I've decided to celebrate my birthday on whichever day the Coptic Anno Martyrum begins (usually the 11th but every once in a while the 12th). Happy New Year or "Head of the Year" as they say in Arabic (Ross-elSanna) or in Hebrew (Rosh-aShanna).

No comments: