Monday, July 16, 2007

A Woman's Intercession

Where would I be without the intercession of the women in my life? The thought knocks the arrogance right out of me. I remember hearing how Saint Augustine, author of Confessions, lived wrongfully in his youth. For years (maybe decades), his mother used to weep for him daily and pray fervently for him. When at last he had a change of heart and lifestyle, he attributed the opening of his eyes to his mother tears.

There must be many mothers who weep over the decisions their children make. I find myself quiet at this moment -- for my own mother and the other women in my life: my sister, my wife, my grandmothers, aunts, and even friends.

The New Testament has at least two interceding mother stories. In both stories, Jesus seemingly refuses the request until he is pressed. One intercession happens as Mary asks her son Jesus for help at a wedding in John 2 (see blog below). Another mother, a non-Jew, intercedes on behalf of her sick daughter, and even accepts arguably some of the harshest words from Jesus, "it is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs," by saying, "even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs."

How many times would I have fallen were it not for the diligence of the women in my life, arguing with, as it were, even the Lord himself for my sake? How inspiring, and reassuring. Thank God for these women's intercessions.

No comments: